Want to get started hitting yard & estate sales? Here is some of my accumulated wisdom to get you started!
- Get out early-the early bird really does catch the worm.
- Don’t pay more than $5.00 unless you know EXACTLYwhat it is and what it’s worth. If it’s really a Rolex, you got a great deal. If it isn’t, you won’t lose sleep.
- If not shown, ask the price BEFORE you show interest. Also ask if they are willing to dicker on price, it’s amazing how people are willing to negotiate on items they want to get rid of.
- If you don’t know what the item is, ask. (follow step 3 first) I once asked a lady if she knew anything about the jacket I had purchased from her, she gave me the whole history which increased the value considerably (Grandfather’s Spanish American War jacket!)
- Older, established, middle-class neighborhoods have the best items and prices.
There are lots more tips I have learned over time, but these are enough to get anyone started hitting yard sales!